[legal] Jabber Foundation Trademark Policy

Johannes Ernst jernst+openid.net at netmesh.us
Fri Aug 17 02:52:31 UTC 2007

On Aug 16, 2007, at 17:57, Gabe Wachob wrote:
> OK, I didn't realize you were set up to actively review trademark
> license
> applications.

I don't see how it can be done without, and I'm sure that's why the
Jabber guys and the Linux guys went down that route.

Because:
  - there will be cases where the use of the mark is entirely
appropriate and straighforward, such as "supports OpenID
authentication 1.1" (and that's factually true)
  - there will be cases where the use of the mark is clearly
inappropriate, such as "The one and only true OpenID foundation" (and
it isn't)
and there will be many things in between.

For example:
  - If I think up some technology tonight, can I call it the "OpenID
XYZ specification"?
  - Or: Can I call my company "OpenID Inc?"

So I think the policy has to have three parts:
  - "these uses are clearly ok"
  - "these uses are clearly not ok"
  - "in all other cases, ask"

Would you disagree?