[legal] Jabber Foundation Trademark Policy

Gabe Wachob gabe.wachob at amsoft.net
Thu Aug 16 23:49:08 UTC 2007

Do we want to have a trademark committee? See
http://www.jabber.org/trademark/how.shtml

I'm not sure there's a better way to truly enforce a trademark with
community input on its enforcement.

There's also a fee for commercial use - its not much ($250 or $500):
http://www.jabber.org/trademark/reqs.shtml

I think these things are divergent with the way we've been thinking about
trademark enforcement - though not necessarily big problems, if we think
they are worth the cost.

If you look at http://www.jabber.org/trademark/approved.shtml and
http://www.jabber.org/trademark/pending.shtml, it really looks like they
aren't putting their process into action - there are only about 9 approved
licensees (incl individuals and open source projects). This may have
something to do with the migration to XMPP (as the followon to Jabber), but
it sure looks like this process may not have actually been complied with in
many cases...

     -Gabe