[OpenID] What is my Google OpenID URL?

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Thu Jul 9 16:29:46 PDT 2009

Paul Johnston wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm sorry for asking such an obvious question, but after considerable
> time spent searching for this I am unable to figure this out.
>
> My google account name is paul.paj. I would like to login to
> bitbucket.org using OpenID. How do I do it?

Google expects you to use the "Directed Identity" feature to sign in
with your Google account. Enter into the box the following string:
     https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id

...and you should end up logged in as a URL at google.com with a
humongous string of hexadecimal gibberish on the end of it. That URL is
your Google OpenID URL.

This will only work if bitbucket.org supports OpenID 2.0.