[OpenID] OpenID 2009 Year in Review

Brian Kissel bkissel at janrain.com
Thu Dec 17 02:09:39 UTC 2009

Hi Shade,

It is true that only OpenID members can see the list of candidates and candidate statements on the Foundation website today.  I don't think that was an intentional policy decision, but more an artifact of how we set up the election tool since only members can vote for board members.  In any case, here is a list of the candidates and their statements.

Marc Frons
Candidate's statement:

Greetings to the OpenID Community,

My name is Marc Frons. I'm the Chief Technology Officer of Digital Operations at the New York Times, in charge of product development and technology at NYTimes.com. Before the Times, I was the CTO of the Consumer Media Group at Dow Jones, where I led technology at WSJ.com and other Dow Jones properties. You can read more about me and the kinds of things we're trying to do at the Times here (http://bit.ly/8LrWC5 ). I'm running for a seat on the board of the OpenID Foundation because the idea of an open Web is intrinsic to what I believe and what we believe at NYTimes.com. By serving on the foundation's board I believe I can help accelerate the adoption of Open ID and other open standards and improve the experience of all Internet users.

While it's clear to me that there has been significant progress over the past couple years in terms of the adoption of OpenID, there's much more that could be done. While I haven't been an active participant on OpenID discussion threads yet, it seems to me that board representation by someone very familiar with and connected to major media companies is essential to helping drive adoption of OpenID and other open identity technologies.

At NYTimes.com, we're actively exploring the implementation of OpenID as part of our identity management solution as we try to broaden and deepen the sharing and conversation around news on the Web as part of our Times Open initiative. For us, becoming an essential provider of news and information online is more than just creating great content. It's about convening and engaging an audience to participate, interact, connect and create content of its own. The wide adoption of an open identity solution, I believe, is the key to the success of that endeavor.

Through my experiences at and ongoing relationships with several major media companies, I'm confident that I can positively contribute to our ongoing discussions on how best to spur adoption of OpenID. For me, that would mean helping overcome the remaining technical barriers to adoption, managing concerns over privacy and ownership of data while promoting and enhancing the benefits of OpenID and other open technologies.

Thank you for considering my candidacy.

Marc

Allen Tom
Candidate's statement:

I've been a strong advocate for open standards, especially for OpenID, for nearly 3 years. As Yahoo! Membership architect, I've helped lead Yahoo's adoption of open standards,and I strongly believe that everyone benefits by having open and interoperable identities that can be used across the web.

During my term as community board member in 2009, I've been an active and visible representative for the OpenID community, representing OpenID at conferences, participating on the public mailing lists, organizing events, and evangelizing OpenID both internally at Yahoo! and externally to the broader internet. I'm also a frequent contributor to many technical specifications, including the OpenID User Interface and OAuth Hybrid Extensions, as well as OAuth 1.0A and OAuth-WRAP.

If reelected, I will continue to work on advancing OpenID, with an emphasis on gaining widespread adoption.

Björn Woltermann
Candidate's statement:

Hello,

my name is Björn Woltermann.

I am Head of Social Media Services at ImmobilienScout24.de, the largest real estate marketplace in the German spoken Internet and probably the most profitable worldwide.

My team and I are responsible for all activities involving social media technologies or interactions. This ranges from the injection of new methods into the organization to leverage social knowledge to the introduction of new technologies and features on products to enable the best decision and convenient experience for the user.

I also co-lead the Social Web Competence Centre at the Scout24 group in Munich. An essential part of this role is to ensure that all organizational entities are enabled and empowered to adopt valuable opportunities and implement must have structures within the field of social media. In this role I contracted JanRain's RPX as the identity solution for the five largest of our marketplaces, which we will roll out ASAP.
The Scout24 group is not just about innovative e-business in the seven marketplaces AutoScout24, ElectronicScout24, FinanceScout24, FriendScout24, ImmobilienScout24, JobScout24, TravelScout24 and the Jobs.de and Local24 portals. As one of the leading corporate groups of online marketplaces in Europe, the Scout24 Group also creates valuable transparency in sector-specific mass markets. Scout24 is 100% owned by Deutsche Telekom AG. In my role I also strive to introduce our learnings and insights into our mother company for a much wider roll-out and even greater user benefit.

By running for the OpenID foundation board I want to bring the perspective of European medium and large sized companies to the foundation. I absolutely believe in the idea of openness and user centricity while keeping regional cultural differences in mind.
Understanding especially those differences and tackling them in my opinion is one of the vital factors for world wide success. Although having a deep technical understanding and like going into details my focus lies on the business opportunities we can create by using new technologies and standards such as OpenID.

I hold a Masters Degree in International Economics with special interests in game theory and psychology.

When not running for the OpenID Foundation Board, I love to go running, skiing and travelling. I also have a passion for good wines and food besides travelling, live in Berlin and believe that this is the most interesting city at the moment.

I would love to actively support the OpenID foundation and thank you for your support!

Björn Woltermann

Brian Kissel
Candidate's statement:

I'm the current chairman of the OIDF and CEO of JanRain, one of the co-founding sponsors of the Foundation. I have appreciated serving on the board in 2009 and hope to continue contributing in 2010. My #1 priority as a board member would be to continue driving broad-based adoption and usage of OpenID. Since joining the board this year I've been committed to working with identity providers, website operators, and end users to understand their needs and to translate these requirements into programs to meet them.

As our Executive Director, Don Thibeau, said in his call for board nominations (http://openid.net/2009/11/11/community-board-member-election-announcement/):

"board participation requires a substantial ongoing investment of time and energy. It is a commitment that should not be undertaken lightly. Rather, should you be elected, expect to be called upon to serve both on the board and on its committees where the work of the foundation is conducted, and to actively contribute."

I hope you will see by my actions, summarized below, that I've been committed to the success of OpenID and the OpenID Foundation. Like Don, I may not be as vocal on the various OpenID mailing lists as some others, but have been working diligently behind the scenes to champion our shared vision for widespread adoption and usage of OpenID. The role of the board is setting strategic direction and corporate governance, ensuring that the various committees and technical working groups have the infrastructure, tools, and policies necessary to do their jobs.

While the board has always had a wealth of technical depth, as we expand our charter to include driving adoption and usage, it's important that we also have representatives on the board who are focused on the RP and end user benefits of OpenID, as a complement to we are already doing to enhance the technical capabilities of OpenID. These are areas where I, as well as a number of other candidates, can continue to bring relevant experience and expertise. I'm very excited to see that candidates with experience at the NY Times, NPR, PBS, Sears, and Deutsche Telekom, are also running for the board. This is the kind of perspective and diversity we need on the board to help accelerate adoption and usage.

You can see my career history at my LinkedIn profile (http://www.linkedin.com/in/briankkissel). Prior to JanRain, I've been involved in the online identity space through my work at Oblix (NetPoint, CoreSV and ShareID are now part of Oracle's IDM solutions), NetAngels (acquired by FireFly Networks then Microsoft), and CheckFree (NASD: CKFR, acquired by Fiserv NASD: FISV) as SVP of Online Banking which included our multi-factor online authentication initiatives. I also serve on the board of the Software Association of Oregon and have been on the board of two other companies, so am very familiar with board governance.

My specific contributions in 2009 included:

·         Headed the search committee that led to the selection and hiring of Don Thibeau as our new Executive Director

·         Lead the process along with Don Thibeau to select Global Inventures as the infrastructure partner for the OIDF. Global Inventures currently manages the back-end infrastructure for over 20 foundations, SIGs, and associations

·         Helping bring PayPal, Facebook, and Booz Allen Hamilton to the board as sustaining corporate members

·         Led the Content Provider and Online Retailer Advisory Committees to solicit input from them on how to drive adoption and usage in their respective industry sectors

·         Led the OIDF's participation at the RSA conference

·         Participated in the ongoing discussions with the GSA, NIST, and other government agencies looking to deploy OpenID on federal websites including two trips to Washington DC to meet with Vivek Kundra, the Federal CIO and his staff

·         Serving on the Joint Steering Committee (JSC) with the Info Card Foundation to evaluate certification programs for identity providers for the federal government and other market segments

·         Helped to redesign and implement a new OpenID Foundation website

·         Organizing the upcoming UX Summit scheduled for February at the Sears Usability Lab in Chicago. We now have representatives from Tribune, Sears, PBS, Universal Music Group, NPR, Republican National Committee, PayPal, Facebook, Yahoo, and many others confirmed to attend.

·         Helping to bring a wider breadth of experience and perspective to the board by inviting folks like Marc Frons from the NY Times, Rob Harles of Sears, Björn Woltermann from Deutsche Telekom, and Daniel Jacobson of NRP to run for this election

·         Working with Joseph Smarr and the major identity providers to create an online summary of OP capabilities to demonstrate the progress that has been made and highlight areas for future improvement

·         Participating in and leading various sessions at the last three Internet Identity Workshops to help frame the goals and priorities for the Foundation. Recently completed a board survey identifying and ranking the top 12 initiatives for 2010.

·         Led JanRain's effort to get OpenID deployed on over 170,000 websites including Universal Music Group, FoxNews, EMI Records, FamilyLink, Sears, Kmart, DC Shoes, Savings.com, RedPlum, GetSatisfaction, UserVoice, WetPaint, KickApps, Viewpoints, TwitterFeed, AudioMicro, TrackThis, Deutsche Telecom, Roost, and others

·         Serving as the Chairman of the board and on the Executive Committee, working closely with our Executive Director and other board members. This entailed participating in calls every two weeks to share updates on progress and make decisions regarding future programs, priorities, and resource allocations.

I hope that I can continue to bring relevant skills, perspective, and experience in new technology and market development to help accelerate OpenID adoption and allow it to become a dominant part of the user-centric identity platform. If elected, you can count on my enthusiastic efforts to improve the effectiveness of the board and the Foundation in driving adoption and usage of OpenID.

Lastly, since there will likely be some changes on the board as a result of this election, it's good to have some continuity of leadership. I've been involved with the OpenID Foundation for over 2 years now and on the board for the last year. We have a number of important initiatives underway, so if reelected I can continue to move those programs forward.

Thank you for considering me for a spot on the board.

Cheers, Brian Kissel

Daniel Jacobson
Candidate's statement:

My name is Daniel Jacobson and I am the Director of Application Development at National Public Radio, where I have been for the last 10 years. I am running for a seat on the board to help OpenID expand its reach to new kinds of organizations (particularly in the media industry) and platforms by improving its usability and ease of implementation.

As a board member, I would bring my many years of digital and social media experience from NPR along with my industry contacts and connections. During my tenure at NPR, I have been one of the primary leaders in driving openness, open standards and content sharing. Among other things, I envisioned and drove the development of all of the NPR APIs (http://www.npr.org/api) which launched in 2008. In addition to being perhaps the most unrestricted of the media APIs (no rate-limits and includes images, full text, transcripts and downloadable audio for nearly every story), it was also among the first major media API to market. We also just completed our new private User API for partners, providing a great springboard for working with other standards such as OpenID. You can read more about my approach to architecture, coding and process at http://www.npr.org/blogs/inside. You can also read more about NPR, our 800+ member radio stations, and our growing audience of more than 27 million at http://www.npr.org/about/.

With respect to identity sharing, this has quickly become an area of great interest to me, both personally and professionally. I am currently leading the research for NPR's identity sharing strategy, which includes the User API as well as a comprehensive analysis of OpenID and other identity sharing technologies. I am anticipating that OpenID will play an important role in the future of our user management, not only because of its functional value, but also because NPR's public service mission aligns nicely with OpenID's mission to create an open standard.

If elected to the board, my primary focus will be on extending the reach of OpenID to more organizations that reach the average user. OpenID has had great success in working with many of the aggregators, social media organizations and others, while major media organizations are notably absent from the OpenID resume. NPR and other media organizations have an important place in the future of OpenID and my experiences will provide valuable insight as to how to reach that market. One of the most important and sensitive topics in those discussions will be usability, which will be another focus of mine. Finally, as content providers focus more on distribution strategies, specifically to emerging platforms like mobile, it is essential for profiles to be as portable as the content.

OpenID can be the definitive identity sharing technology in the marketplace and I am certain that my technical background, vision of digital media, and experiences within the media industry can provide valuable contributions to OpenID in achieving that goal.

Thank you for your consideration.

Dick Hardt
Candidate's statement:

If elected to the board, I will strive to ensure that OpenID continues to be "open" and democratic in nature. I fear OpenID's success may lead to short cuts where identity is dominated by a small number of players.

OpenID has the potential to deliver Identity 2.0. My goal will be to do what I can to make that happen. We need to pull the community together, acknowledge the technical issues we have, and deliver OpenID v next.

I was a founding board member of the OpenID Foundation, past Treasurer and author of several OpenID specifications. I've promoted the Identity 2.0 meme and blog about identity at http://identity20.com.

Although I currently work at Microsoft, if elected I will represent the broader OpenID community.

Dirk Balfanz
Candidate's statement:

I have been working on OpenID for about two years now. I have a passion for user-focus, and I intend to bring that perspective to the Board.

While I work at Google, I'm running for a community seat, and intend to put user interests over the interests of OPs or RPs (although I believe that these interests should be aligned). From that I derive what I believe should be priorities for the OIDF: accessibility, security, and ease-of-use.

Accessibility means that every user should have easy access to an OpenID because the provider he uses on a daily basis is also an OP. With a few more big OPs on board, we can reach this goal.

Security means that an OpenID identity cannot be stolen. Since discovery is a key (and currently weak) part of identity assertion verification in OpenID, we need to get a more secure discovery mechanism.

Finally, ease-of-use means that users can connect OP accounts with RP services easily, without necessarily knowing about OpenID technology. This means that in addition to identity assertions, OpenID must enable exchange of data (through the OAuth and revamped AX extensions). It also means that we need to solve the UX problem for RPs: When visiting an RP, users must be able to easily kick off the login flow with their own OPs. To support that, we should look into supporting "natural" identifiers like email addresses (through WebFinger), and/or a mechanism for automated OP discovery.

I have been trying to advance these issues in the past: As an example, I drove the OpenID OAuth extension specification, and implemented it as part of Google's OpenID provider, enabling a smooth onboarding experience for users that want to connect their OP account with RP services.

I have also been working on next-generation discovery mechanisms for OpenID. I have blogged about it (http://hueniverse.com/author/dirk/) and implemented a prototype at Google, turning millions of Google-hosted domains into OpenID providers.

I maintain an open-source library (step2.googlecode.com) that implements the OpenID OAuth extension, a discovery mechanism based on signed XRDS documents (which is compatible with Google Apps OPs), and serves as a playground for experiments with RP login UIs.

Please support my candidacy for the OpenID Board.

John Bradley
Candidate's statement:

I am an independent contractor working on federated identity projects from my home in Chile.

I have been working with the US Government (ICAM) on a trust profile for openID over the last 8 months.

I am continuing to work with government agencies to promote adoption of openID.

I think the next step for identity on the internet is establishing trust between the various parties. That is a key component of my ICAM work. However it doesn't stop there, there are other trust groupings that need to happen in the commercial space to drive adoption.

I have been one of the contributors to the PAPE extension as well as working on security and interoperability openID tests for the OSIS interop events. This has given me good first hand experience working with the various library authors to improve interoperability and security. I was one of the contributors to XRI 2.0 and continue to be actively involved in the work around the XRD spec to create a common meta-data discovery framework for openID, OAuth, info-cards, and other open platforms.

I previously with Andy Dale at ooTao trying to develop a market for identity based services built around openID.
I am on the ID Trust member section steering committee at OASIS that provides coordination and support for the identity related specs at OASIS such as Information Cards, XRI, XRD and XDI. I am also a member of those committees as well as the SAML technical committee.

Feel free to contact me with questions.

Regards
John Bradley

Jonathan Coffman
Candidate's statement:

Hello fellow OpenID members,

You may have noticed me popping in and out of threads on the various OID email lists over the last few months.

I'm the product manager overseeing social media efforts for PBS here in the United States. My work in the online and social media space is on behalf of the 356 local PBS member stations from across the country as well as the many independent content producers for whom PBS distributes content (such as NOVA, Nature, the NewsHour and of course our many shows for children). A small team here creates products and services to spur civic engagement both online and offline at those stations as well as on the national level. Using and supporting open Internet standards and contributing back where we can is critically important to me, we are after all, public-media.

My team recently launched version one of a completely overhauled user registration system that is based on OpenID from the ground-up. In the coming months we plan to expand on that initial version and allow users to signin to all of our online experiences using their OpenID compliant accounts from the across the web. There's definitely a lot more work to do!

I'm also looking forward to the potential of extending that system, and OpenID, to our ecommerce and online donation mechanisms but recognize that there needs to be further research and work done at the technology and policy level to ensure security and trust in such transactions. This is an exciting area that I look forward to being able to provide leadership and experience in moving forward rapidly.

The media landscape is going through a period of rapid change, and I am of the opinion that one of the key opportunities for news and entertainment companies is to embrace users and make it easy for them to take charge of their own online experience. OpenID has the potential to make this process much easier, and I would like to help make sure that it does.

Over the last year I've done extensive work preparing PBS for taking such a forward-thinking and open approach to user engagement and feel like the time is right for me to begin giving back some of this knowledge to my peers in the online identity community. I hope that you feel the same way and will support my candidacy.

I have a lot of enthusiasm for the OpenID Foundation and recognize that this is a seminal time for strong leadership, passion, and ambition to take OID to the next level both on the OP and RP side. Additionally, being based in Washington DC and being very familiar with the "government 2.0" teams trailblazing across the federal government I'm prepared to assist the Foundation in any way I can here locally as agencies begin to explore federated identity solutions.

Thank you for your consideration.

Jonathan Coffman

Joseph Smarr
Candidate's statement:

I've been an active and passionate advocate, early adopter, and contributor to the development of OpenID for several years. In the last year, I co-authored the hybrid OpenID+OAuth extension and demonstrated how it could improve sign-up performance relative to making users sign up from scratch, a major milestone towards making OpenID more mainstream, user-friendly, and good for business.

As CTO of Plaxo, I've worked as an RP with many OPs (large and small) to help figure out what works and what doesn't, and to suggest and prototype advances to improve the usability, privacy, and usefulness of OpenID. I recently spoke at the OpenID Summit about the major challenges I see facing OpenID in its current state: http://josephsmarr.com/2009/11/03/what-an-rp-wants-part-2-openid-summit-2009/

As a community-elected Board Member for the last year, I believe I have had a positive impact in addition to my technical and community work by strongly representing the perspective of an RP, as well as connecting the work on OpenID with the rest of the Open Stack building blocks being developed simultaneously (OAuth, Portable Contacts, OpenSocial, etc.).

I would very much like to continue my involvement with the OpenID Foundation Board, as 2010 promises to be a pivotal year for the future of OpenID and the Open Web in general.

Kick Willemse
Candidate's statement:

Hi, my name is Kick Willemse from the Netherlands (EU) and committed to bring OpenID to the next level.

Some background:

·         Technically skilled, but business focus (http://nl.linkedin.com/in/kwillemse)

·         Currently independent contractor on Identity and eSignatures

·         For 10 years involved in "high trust" public d-identities

·         Involved in projects to implement d-identities for large RP's. Last project was related to an international telco and implementation of consumer identities on mobile SIM card (OpenID enabled)

·         Involved in Dutch OpenID chapter and organized successful event in 2009 (http://www.openidentiteit.nl/)

My views to bring OIDF to the next level:

·         Make OIDF a real community again, with international participation from all over the world.

·         Make sure we define clear/sticky goals for the OIDF and don't get distracted by some press releases.

·         Make sure we only develop what RP's need to be committed and implement

·         Guard the decentralized approach of OpenID

·         Make sure we can use openid on any platform (TV, Mobile, PC, ...)

·         Guard for the international use of OpenID

·         Work on an international accepted trust scheme

·         Some humor

Martin Paljak
Candidate's statement:

My name is Martin Paljak and I am from Estonia.

I've been connected to the OpenID community since late 2005 when I was looking for a solution that would broaden the options for on-line applications to accept Estonian eID card for authentication purposes, other than SSL/HTTPS. After evaluating CAS, LID, SAML2 and others, I discovered that OpenID has exactly the properties I was looking for - lightweight, open, decentralized and adoptable.

I then created the first publicly available hardware cryptography (800 000 deployed smart cards containing 1024 bit RSA keys) based OpenID provider, openid.ee.

I've been involved as an independent consultant with one of the most successful (in terms of % of distributed cards and real life daily usage) EU eID rollouts, in Estonia, since it was launched in 2002. I'm one of the long time developers of OpenSC, the open smart card framework supporting many of the EU eID (as well as US CAC/PIV) smart cards; active contributor to the pcsc-lite framework (smart card framework on OS X and Linux distros) and open source CCID smart card reader driver.

Occasionally I write articles to both Estonian and foreign (mostly computer) magazines, give talks and presentations and also lectures in local universities on identity, security and related software.

I'm enlisted as an external specialist to the European Commission, consult Estonian government agencies as well as foreign companies and government related institutions on EU eID deployment, development and OpenID matters.

As a member of OpenID foundation (and as the Estonian representative of OpenID Foundation Europe) I would bring a fresh point of view from the EU perspective to the OIDF, a different-than-a-major-US-based-public-RP-for-government-consumption mentality to the decision table.

My interest in OpenID space include trust and reputation distribution (as EU eID schemes bring very strong non-repudiation cases to the table, that require cross-border recognition because of EU directives), digital signatures and digital timestamps. As a first step this would mean finalizing the Contract Exchange and related specs.

You can contact me via martin at paljak.pri.ee (or via my OpenID, http://martin.paljak.pri.ee/), follow me on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/martinpaljak or call me with further questions on GSM +3725156495

Cheers,
Martin

Robert Harles
Candidate's statement:

Greetings to the OpenID Community,

Many of you may not know me, I'm Rob Harles, VP Social Media and Community at Sears Holding Company, the parent company of Sears, Kmart, LandsEnd, and other business units. You can see my business profile at http://www.linkedin.com/pub/robert-harles/4/190/828 I've also worked at an internet startup, comScore as Senior Vice President in charge of retail analytic services and as a Senior Consultant with McKinsey & Company. I've lived, worked, and studied internationally as well as here in the US. I'm really excited about what the OpenID Foundation, member companies, and the community members are doing to help improve user experiences on the web and to allow organizations like Sears to serve their customers better.

Being relatively new to the OpenID movement, it appears that a lot has been achieved over the past couple of years w.r.t. standards, specifications, intellectual property rights, organizational governance, and some progress toward market adoption. My congratulations and thanks to all who have been involved to date as individual contributors, working group and committee members, board members, and corporate sponsors. It now appears that the Foundation is well positioned to expand its charter to help drive awareness and adoption of this compelling new identity management platform and I would like to volunteer my time, experience, and resources to contribute.

As I look at the current composition of the board, it's exciting to see a diverse representation of individuals, small companies, large companies, and international organizations. However, it seems to me that more representation from some additional relying parties including online retailers could help expand the vision and dialog surrounding the strategic priorities of the Foundation. While I haven't historically been active on various OpenID discussion threads, I'm becoming increasingly aware of the benefits and challenges associated with embracing OpenID as well as OAuth, Portable Contacts, Activity Streams, etc. from the perspective of a major international retailer and an organization that is trying to wholeheartedly embrace internet technologies to serve its customers better. As many of you may know, Sears and Kmart have deployed OpenID for some content and community functionality and are looking to do more across a wider range of our properties. We're also interested in contributing to the ongoing evolution of OpenID as it relates to online commerce.

Working with Don Thibeau, Brian Kissel, Allen Tom, and Global Inventures, Sears is coordinating to host the third UX Summit at our usability lab in Chicago sometime in Q1 of 2010. We think this may provide a great opportunity to draw in more participation from Midwest and east coast firms, more relying parties, and more online retailers to give more "voice of the customer" feedback to OPs and OIDF working groups.

During my time at comScore I became intimately aware of what it takes for organizations to draw and retain active audiences on their websites. I'm confident that I could provide helpful input to the evolution of the positioning, value proposition, and market messaging around OpenID in the coming year. I also have experience with corporate governance from my time at McKinsey, and internet startup experience.

Regardless of whether you vote for me or not in this election cycle, I hope each of you will recognize that the role of the board is strategic direction and corporate governance, not just technical specifications. Specifications and standards is the role of the committees and working groups. From what I have seen, a lot of the activity on the various mailing lists is by some vocal and passionate champions of the technology, which is a great thing and should continue. IMHO, however, now is the time for the OIDF to expand its charter and mission to include market adoption that can bring wider consumer awareness and usage. I believe that I can bring some unique skills, experiences, and connections to the board and the Foundation that will help us take OpenID to new levels of adoption and benefits for end users and RPs alike.

Thanks in advance for your consideration of my candidacy

Rob Harles

Robert Ott
Candidate's statement:

I try keep it short. I joint OpenID in order to promote it in Europe / Switzerland. It gave me the opportunity to present OpenID at various conferences and companies. In 2007/2008 I was pleased to announce that Switzerland was the second European local chapter officially registered in Switzerland. Due to the lack of OpenID / SAML interoperability and support for strong authentication mechanism here in Switzerland, I was a founding member of the Clavid OpenID provider supporting today authentication mechanism such as smart cards, fingerprint readers and OTP's such as Yubikey which is provided as a free service to public OpenID users.

I decided to nominate to the OIDF board election in order to better represent Europe in the OIDF board.

Cheers,

Brian

Brian Kissel<http://www.linkedin.com/pub/0/10/254>
CEO, JanRain - WebID and Social Publishing for User Engagement