[OpenID] OpenID and Friendfeed

Santosh Rajan santrajan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 03:06:59 UTC 2009

I have a friendfeed account with my gmail address. Friendfeed now supports
Google and facebook login.
So I log in with my google account. No problem. I also have a facebook
account with the same email address.

When I log in with my Facebook account it see's me as a new user obviously.
They cant get your email address from facebook. So I add the same email
address to this account. I logout and login with google again and it takes
me to this new account!

Then I close my browser and login again with my facebook and it recognizes
my old account! No problem.

Now this is the problem. Most sites maintain accounts based on email
addresses. It is is very difficult to integrate third party signin's
whithout email addresses. Friendfeed seems to have pulled it off with some
glitches though.

If OpenId needs to seemlessly integrate with RP's email based authentication
SREG email is an absolute necessity.

Also please see my blogpost on a related subject on Facebook here.
http://santrajan.blogspot.com/2009/04/facebook-support-for-openid-farce-or.html
http://santrajan.blogspot.com/2009/04/facebook-support-for-openid-farce-or.html

-----

Santosh Rajan