[OpenID] Demo Travel/ retailshop

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Sun Apr 26 19:02:40 UTC 2009

lets not forget that Visa and Mastercard (or their banks more precisely) have been in the web SSO business for  a LONG time - with various protocols under their belt (SET, GlobalPlatform, 3dsecure, ... ).

Once openid matures, I have no doubt that a suitable profile will be formulated by the banking associations; led by visa US probably. The core issue is to get openid mature enough under pure web evangelism momentum so that its not "just" another (sso) protocol that ran (there is a whole slew of them...). The key is some adoption by RPs that matter. e-commerce sites would best, because their forces ALL the assurnace issues, for PCI if nothing else. It will thus stress the PAPE usage, the crypto profiles, the choice of association manager, the extension profile, the AX schema, the trust model...the SSL ISSUES... turning openid from a research phase project for address the blogosphere's identity management problem into something that one could and should rely on for e-commerce-grade risk management.

facebook and myspace seem to be heading the right direction, in my view - making web2.0 into something that fits the needs of business (too). After all, the big push now is to get a save of all us 30+ year olds to get a social networking identity...based on our needs for social media (which are somewhat different to the needs of the typical, post angry-phase 20 year old)