[OpenID] Demo Travel/ retailshop

Andrew Arnott andrewarnott at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 14:24:18 UTC 2009

In retrospect, I guess an OpenID transaction using AX could be used for
this, omitting the openid.identity and openid.claimed_id parameters to
signify this isn't an authentication while still leveraging AX, could be
used in this scenario with PayPal as well.
--
Andrew Arnott
"I [may] not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 7:10 AM, Andrew Arnott <andrewarnott at gmail.com>wrote:

> Remember (I say this to everyone on the list),
> Just because PayPal would make an excellent source of this information,
> that doesn't mean that it should become an OP.  In the interest of the SSO
> model, since we seem to have enough big OPs out there, why not have PayPal
> become an OAuth Service Provider.
>
> Imagine... you're already logged into eBay using your preferred OP.  You're
> now ready to purchase.  Why make you log in again using PayPal?  Instead,
> just click the Pay With PayPal button.  You see PayPal pop up, asking you to
> verify the purchase/bid/whatever.  You click Yes.  You see eBay again, and
> it has received all the info it needs.  If you weren't already signed into
> PayPal you may need to sign in there before clicking "Yes", but you're
> strictly logging into PayPal and not re-logging into eBay.
>
> You don't need to be an OP to be able to provide this info.  If
> authentication isn't strictly necessary, OAuth is usually the right choice.
>
> --
> Andrew Arnott
> "I [may] not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death
> your right to say it." - Voltaire
>

> On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 5:54 AM, Santosh Rajan <santrajan at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I think Visa. Mastercard etc will get into the act!Incidentally Paypal is
>> an excellent position to be an OP for shopping sites, because not only can
>> it provide a verified email address, it can also tell the RP if the user is
>> a paypal verified user. ie. he has a verified credit card.(Of cource they
>> will need to communicate this info somehow).
>>

>> On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Peter Williams <pwilliams at rapattoni.com>wrote:
>>

>>> so where are poeple planning on storing (partial) credit card data -
>>>
>>> 1. at the op (paypal OP model) attribute server
>>> 2. in the release module of the OP, udner user control
>>> 3. at the discovery agent (users XRDS, somehow protected)
>>> 4. one of the RPs