[OpenID] Automating the user's selection of OP

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 22:04:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 1:29 PM, George Fletcher <gffletch at aol.com> wrote:

> While we can't ever get away from the need to support "dumb browser"
> experiences, in my mind it makes more sense to optimize for an "identity
> agent" aware device while not precluding the "dumb browser" experience.
> There is a lot we can do to make a seamless user-centric experience using an
> "identity agent" on the user's device.

I support that concept.

I think there is much to be learned from video gaming system that support
either local or portable profiles. Clearly they've worked out the user
experience here for both efficiency and typical users... Would be curious to
know if we have any contacts on the Xbox or Wii teams.

Chris

> SitG Admin wrote:
>
>> So you are still back to asking the user which OP's he would like to login
>>> with.
>>>
>>> You might as well ask the question at the start itself and set a cookie
>>> for
>>> the user.
>>>

>> Which returns you to the problem this was intended to solve: isn't it a
>> bit much to ask the user to type in their OpenID when you can fill it in for
>> them automatically?
>>
>> -Shade

Chris Messina
Citizen-Participant &
 Open Web Advocate

factoryjoe.com // diso-project.org // vidoop.com