[OpenID] Automating the user's selection of OP

Luke Shepard lshepard at facebook.com
Tue Apr 21 16:36:59 UTC 2009

Thanks for your feedback.

> 1) Detecting logged in status for a set of OP's even if it is possible, will
> mean an extra delay in the login process.

The detection can be done in the background, in parallel, and the results displayed only once they come back. If the OPs are fast, then loading from 20 OPs generates 40 HTTP requests (20 if you optimize the return_to). This is no worse than loading 40 images on a page.

> 2) Even if you detect a person logged in to an OP we cannot assume that it
> is the OP the user would like to use for the particular RP.

That's true. The user still needs to choose to login, but at least now the RP can place the choice much more prominently than it would be able to without this information.

'> 3) You may find the user logged in to more than one OP's,

I specifically addressed that objection in my post. If the user is logged into more than one OP, then you can still give them a choice.

> You might as well ask the question at the start itself and set a cookie for the user.

With this technique, you could run the detection for a much larger set of OPs, and ask a more intelligent question. Otherwise, how do you ask a user to choose from 100 services, most of which they have never heard of?

In any case, this suggestion has yet to be implemented. The right way to tell if this is correct is to implement and test to see if it performs better than the NASCAR approach.

On 4/20/09 6:47 PM, "Santosh Rajan" <santrajan at gmail.com> wrote:

Chris Messina wrote:

> Luke Shepard wrote about this idea recently:
>
> http://www.sociallipstick.com/2009/04/15/lets-detect-logged-in-state/

Does not look like a practical idea to me.

1) Detecting logged in status for a set of OP's even if it is possible, will
mean an extra delay in the login process.
2) Even if you detect a person logged in to an OP we cannot assume that it
is the OP the user would like to use for the particular RP.
3) You may find the user logged in to more than one OP's,

So you are still back to asking the user which OP's he would like to login
with.

You might as well ask the question at the start itself and set a cookie for
the user.

-----

Santosh Rajan
http://santrajan.blogspot.com http://santrajan.blogspot.com