[OpenID] OpenID Japan and IDTBD

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Sun Apr 19 09:42:47 UTC 2009

"Under this principle, the key concept would be that IDTBD “Projects” would not be limited to being subgroups of IDTBD as a legal entity, but could also be separate legal entities. For example, a non-profit organization such as the OpenID Foundation, Information Card Foundation, or an open source project such as the Higgins Project, could all qualify to participate as IDTBD Projects."

This notion of "qualification" concerns me, as a openid community participant. Generally, governance and adoption fight each other in crypto political arenas - where openid is now a major headliner.

I tried very hard to keep CAs separate from mandatory key escrow service providers, for example, understanding that the fully informed, average joe will not trust any firm that does both functions (and many corporate folks in turn will not (and cannot) trust pki operators until such as mandatory key escrow control -guarantees- exist for pki).

You don't find a political solution to a governance formalization dilemma by formalizing governance ("qualification.") . To use a junk quantum crypto allusion, the very act of observing destroys the observed entropy.

Powerless peter.