[OpenID] A lesson from history for Facebook

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Thu Apr 16 18:38:32 UTC 2009

A little trivia and opinion.

When Netscape took off, VeriSign (or "Digital Certificates International" - as it was known at the time) was still issuing certs for digisign - an apple app that would sign apple's compound document file formats, using 512bit RSA and X.509 v1 cert. One enrolled for a TTP-cert by making an affidavit (bearing the public key hex, and one's legal name) to a notary public - who had to (and still must) perform identification and an act of "recodation" in the public journal. Then, as Apple and Taligent (apple+HP+IBM plot to compete with MSFT in the PC OS market) collapsed under too much scheduling theory and cultural infighting, the digisign team went on to form a company that then provided on the SSL toolkit used by probably 50 https vendors (before openssl killed that market). But in that brief window, crypto and assurance notions were spread widely, teacfhing folks how NOT to build crypto-based security systems (that were not simply _trivial_ to passively spy on).

The apple hardware and nvram chips had RSA too, for firmware/boot protection. If you knew how, you could alter the manufacturer's certs/keys, tho.

Yes - we could have done websso A LONG TIME AGO; X.500 in 1986 had what we now call assertions/claims/attributes and asserting/relyingparties! But no-one wanted to be open. Hub and spoke business models are very dominant in the US and Japan. If one makes a breakthrough in commoditizing open technology in one area, it usually gets closed down again into proprietary networks again in another. That is: a lot of marketing about open systems, but not a lot of actual __multi-vendor__ delivery (where the _user_ selects the hardware bits, the system bits..., the keys.., the everything...).

We will just have to wait see if openid is more like the Apple of yore, or more like the Microsoft off yore (now in the guise of Facebook, Google, Yahoo (and live). Etc.). I'm still hoping Microsoft will use its power to ensure what its always ensured: the third party developer can play too, with no significant barriers to entry into the value-add market.