[OpenID] Facebook wildfire spreading of OpenID

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Tue Apr 14 01:37:09 UTC 2009

So what should they be talking about ?

SSL was launched with a simple message: makes e-commerce safe enough for consumers. (An  unstated message (for obvious reasons) was: it makes porn easier to transfer legally, given porn was the first e-commerce MASS market to adopt SSL). Life was admittedly easier in those days because 2 pillars of the IETF community were spending mega bucks asserting the opposite  of what SSL asserted (there  IS NO social "need" to encrypt credit cards, or , even if you encrypt them you don't need certs/CAs to solve the key management scalability problem). Both ran into social and technical walls, fast, justifying  SSL's core design concept.

What is openid's core value, for a parent?

Here is a few of the spins I've heard over the last 2 years:

1                     Urls are so magical that your openid URL means you don't need multiple passwords

2                     Addresses commenting spam

3                     Brings PGP's web of trust to life, though linkup with ebay-reputation systems

4                     Easy signup to new accounts

5                     Get portability of identity, like with your phone number

6                     Addresses privacy policies  through explicit consent