[OpenID] OpenID 2.1 clarification on use of LocalID

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Sat Apr 11 16:55:54 UTC 2009

http://blogs.sun.com/docteger/entry/set_up_the_idp_discovery

Could we imagine pleasant, cooperative hook up now between the world of saml2 and openid - at least over discovery? Im no so sure, if I answer my own question.

There do seem to be interworking limits concerning what SAML2 specifies. We already enabled our Federation Portal (a B2B OP, essentially) to cooperate the "4th party" discovery service - and it all works fine (with the same vendor's software stack for RPs.) I'm not convinced that I could substitute the vendor's discovery server with that from Sun, tho; or SUN's opensso servers acting for RPs can cooperate with the discovery server from my vendor.  This is despite both vendors doing the same "idp discovery" profile of SAML2.

As one could probably guess, I have little interest in endorsing some cabal of giant telco-like middleware companies getting into the business of running a common discovery server/service for all people (using XRI). That would essentially be "X.500 reborn", with the bits used being swapped from those specified by ISO to those specified by OASIS. What we want is a middle ground in the world of XRI that enables users in private management domains (communities of trust, in web speak) to share their discovery points with their peers - perhaps leveraging 2-stage discovery architectures used in the highly scalable sparse mode PIM routing protocols - where well known boostrapping servers facilitate the learning of the COT-based discovery endpoints.