[OpenID] Can we make a seamless OpenID mobile experience?

Breno de Medeiros breno at google.com
Fri Apr 10 21:09:53 UTC 2009

Actually, the subversion client fits reasonably well in this paradigm:

1. The shell interface has a convenient mechanism to accept variable
input. So the choice of entering a password there.

2. The fact that the password does not get exchanged for another token
(single-user vs. pairing) is a consequence here of the fact that
subversion clients do not support OAuth; and the shell interface is a
reasonably convenient mechanism to enter long, strong secrets
(cut-and-paste from SVN server UI to shell client).

In general, the human-to-device channel cannot conveniently accept
large secrets (the svn client example is an exception in this setting)
and therefore you need a shorter, single-use secret to leverage a
pairing of stronger crypto token. The OAuth protocol effectively gives
you this pairing.

In general, the model of single-use code to be leveraged as a 'request
token secret' and the full OAuth exchange give in general a mechanism
that is both more usable (because requiring users to enter short
secrets) and  more secure (because it uses signatures for fetching
data instead of playing the same secret over what may be insecure
connections).

--
--Breno

+1 (650) 214-1007 desk