[OpenID] Can we make a seamless OpenID mobile experience?

Luke Shepard lshepard at facebook.com
Fri Apr 10 19:29:15 UTC 2009

(dropping board@, generalizing subject). Thanks for those links Breno - that research is helpful.

The whole OpenID/Oauth model for non-browser devices seems to be "let's get you to a browser as quick as we can".  Frankly, that still sucks- after all, if I'm playing on my Playstation (as in the example below), then I just want to enter my credentials right there, and not go get a computer. Not to mention mobile - how often do you think users of the mobile phone will be sitting in front of an internet-connected computer?

We need to move the point of authentication as close as possible to where it's needed.

I know it's really tough from a security perspective, because the OP doesn't want to trust the device manufacturers with its credentials. But let's assume that we have an OP and an RP, and they agree to trust each other. Can we build a way for them to do it with open standards? Right now, the "open" experience is so bad that they will design their own thing. As always, we can punt the "who to trust" problem to later. Having an open standard way of doing this, even if it requires trust, is still better than everybody inventing their own solution.

Lots of mobile clients nowadays just ask you for username/password directly - look at the Gmail and Facebook apps for Blackberry, for example. So how can we make that same experience work through OpenID, without an external browser?