[OpenID] OpenID 2.1 clarification on use of LocalID

John Bradley john.bradley at wingaa.com
Fri Apr 10 00:41:02 UTC 2009

It works fine if the RP performs the discovery on the returned
claimed_id and makes certain that if the openid.identity  is not ==
openid.clamed_id it is in the discovered information as the <LocalID>

The user supplied value is only used for the first discovery.   The
second discovery if there is one uses the returned.clamed_id.
If the calimed_id doesn't change then you don't need a second
discovery because you already have the discovery info.

So logically if the claimed_id that is returned by the OP is the same
one that is sent, (as it would be for delegation) if ANY of the other
three parameters are changed in the  assertion from the OP, that
assertion must be rejected.

I have found RPs that were only checking for the openid.claimed_id
changing.

This allowed me to get a OP to assert a claimed_id for a delegated ID
while logging in with any valid ID at the OP.

Checking the values in the returned assertion against the discovery
information is critical.

FYI Google and Yahoo are treating the combination of delegation and
directed identity differently.

John Bradley