[OpenID] What about Address Books? (not Logout)

SitG Admin sysadmin at shadowsinthegarden.com
Fri Apr 10 00:18:50 UTC 2009

>I'm not sure SLO is that pressing in today's openid world, wanting
>to share a few address books to define one's personal community of
>interest.

Remember the furor over a certain social networking site protecting
the E-mail addresses of its members by putting them into a photo, and
then some programmer came along and wrote a utility to extract them
back to text again so people could freely migrate their address
books? At some point OpenID may introduce this kind of conflict
between friends, because there's a big difference between knowing
that your friends keep your full name associated with your E-mail
address on a personal computer that noone else will ever access, and
learning that your friends have been migrating that data around 6-10
different third parties without checking their Privacy Policy first
(much less checking whether the people responsible have been vetted
by anyone reputable).

Webmail is typically a limited use-case, and hosted by big companies.
As the idea of a user-centric web hits critical mass, and especially
with the technology becoming increasingly available and easy to use,
these unpleasant side-effects may occur simultaneously with the
takeover by their primary cause.

None of which has anything to do with logout, but it might throw a
wrench into the works of data migration, so there it is for anyone
working on that to be worried about ;)

Our discussion of OpenID has been focusing on OP's and RP's and
whether they can trust each other, but in a user-centric world there
are also questions of whether users who are not directly involved
with the OP *or* the RP actively distrusting either or both; I don't
know if this indirect trust is an area that OpenID ought to be trying
to address, but OP's and RP's dealing with such information might
want to consider educating users about it, actively, so users take
care with which third parties they entrust with their friends'
information, and those of us promoting OpenID can show that we *care*
what their friends think of them (best for the social networking
sites, perhaps).

-Shade