[OpenID] What about Logout?

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Thu Apr 9 08:47:10 UTC 2009

I like the thinking, and it was very clearly expressed.

But there is the case that different widgets [being openid...where RP's (vs user's) discover and select metadata] choose different OPs which like yahoo may have persistent OP sessions.

Thus the OP supporting the initial desktop page does not know all sessions.
Thus the RP rendering the desktop page does not know all widget sessions.
Thus no one widget knows all widget sessions.

There is no obvious party that knows all sessions, to present a multi-session authority UI for user selected-logout. Only a browser plugin could be knowing the total picture.

As I said in a private  email to some folks, the nearest we came to addressing this (to us, a very real issue set) with current open standards was to impose SAML2's idp-proxying model on the widgets, forcing the widgets to use the same IDP as the desktop RP.  But even this was not entirely successful, and openid auth has no constrained op proxying model - in any case.