[OpenID] My 2 Cents to the OpenID foundation

John Bradley john.bradley at wingaa.com
Wed Apr 8 05:38:01 UTC 2009

Santrajan,

The symmetric encryption is key SHA1 or SHA256 is set per RP/OP
association.

It would take some real bending of the protocol for the RP to have two
associations and choose the one to use based on what the OP might send
back.

It is also unlikely that PCI rules are going to allow any OP to store
credit cards numbers and make them available via AX.
There is going to have to be something other than AX as it is now for
authenticating financial transactions.

We also need to remember this signature is only intended to prevent
tampering and is not used for encryption.
For AX including the attributes in the signed portion of the message
is optional in any event.

Yes the OP may send back attributes that could be modified by the user
without the RP knowing.

The AX 1.0 spec allows OP's and RPs to negotiate any sort of signing
and/or encryption they like for attributes.
However there is no standard for that,  so at the moment the most OPs
can do is include the AX attributes in the signed part of the response.

We have talked for a while about the need for AX 2.0 to address some
of the ambiguities and add things like encryption and structured
attributes.

I am hopping work on that can get started soon!

John Bradley