[OpenID] "declining OpenID usage"

David Recordon david at sixapart.com
Tue Apr 7 20:57:50 UTC 2009

I'd love to see the front-end aspects of RPX offered as an Open Source
JavaScript library; there have been a few starts but never anything
fully complete.  I think these days a good OpenID UI is considered to
look much like RPX with one-click buttons to sign in using Google,
MySpace and Yahoo! and then an OpenID button which provides the text
field for people who have their own custom OpenIDs.

--David

On Apr 7, 2009, at 1:50 PM, Tony Stubblebine wrote:

> [...]
>> work with various OpenID relying parties:
>> http://blog.janrain.com/2009/01/openid-case-study-afi-begin.html
>> http://blog.janrain.com/2009/01/why-websites-should-accept-multiple.html
>>
>> I wish more companies, including the one that I work for part-time,
>> provided
>> more of this kind of information.
>>
>>> 4. A lot of people have reacted to our numbers being low, but very
>>> few
>>> people have reacted to our numbers going down. We get to take
>>> regular
>>> snapshots of nearly identical communities and we've mostly seen a
>>> decline in usage. For example, we had two large conferences that
>>> were
>>> a year apart in the same city. The first year adoption was 8% and
>>> the
>>> second year adoption was 3%.
>>
>> I can't explain why your numbers are going down — but it would be
>> interesting if we were able to do a study or survey to find out why —
>> especially from folks who used OpenID in the past but didn't use it
>> again.
>> I could imagine that audiences are becoming more mainstream and are
>> thus
>> overall less familiar with OpenID, but that's just guessing. It
>> could also
>> be that the value for using OpenID wasn't obvious, but that's a
>> separate
>> issue that needs to be addressed.
>> It is worth pointing to some of Janrain's case studies (again,
>> lacking other
>> corroborating resources) that suggest that OpenID has in fact
>> increased user
>> signups:
>> http://www.janrain.com/openid/casestudies
>> Examples: "Mixx observes a ten-fold increase in registrations via
>> OpenID",
>> "PropertyMaps sees registrations increase by 200% after deploying
>> OpenID and
>> today 25% of registrations occur via OpenID", "37 signals now has
>> 15% of
>> it's users logging in with OpenID".
>> It's also worth pointing out what's required and what's not; today,
>> most
>> sites require email addresses, so that's what gravitated towards,
>> since it's
>> the familiar. If you required OpenID, you'd obviously see a
>> different story,
>> but you may also setup an impenetrable barrier for some.
>> Now that you've run the numbers, I'm curious to see if you'd be
>> willing to
>> work with us to do measurements over time, using a variety of
>> OpenID-driven
>> interfaces, from RPX to VidoopConnect to other approaches, like the
>> developing pop-up approach? As you said, you're curious as to why
>> the number
>> went down; well, what if we took steps to see if we could bring those
>> numbers back up by tweaking the interface or discoverability of

>>> www.crowdvine.com
>>> blog.crowdvine.com