[OpenID] Max Engel on Using OpenID to Power MySpace’s Open Platform

David Recordon david at sixapart.com
Tue Apr 7 20:22:01 UTC 2009

Just posted a guest post by Max Engel from MySpace on how they're
using OpenID, OAuth, OpenSocial and ActivityStrea.ms for their
platform with a user-experience at parity with Facebook Connect.  Post
is on the site at http://openid.net/2009/04/07/using-openid-to-power-myspaces-open-platform/
  and copied below.

--David

About two weeks ago, MySpace released an update to MySpaceID taking
advantage of OpenID combined with OAuth to provide a sign in and
profile sharing with a user-experience at parity with Facebook
Connect. Max Engel is MySpace’s Product Lead for their Open Platform
and took the time to write this post, providing some more details
about how MySpaceID works.

At MySpace, we recently released several critical new feature
enhancements to MySpaceID, a product under the MySpace Open Platform.
We delivered OpenID support, an OpenID/OAuth Hybridexperience, and
support for syndicating “Friend Updates” via the emerging Activity
Streamsspecification.

These new components to the MySpace Open Platform allow us to not only
provide developers with new tools to create distributed applications
that are built on top of our social platform, but also to deliver an
identity solution that builds on top of the “Open Stack” to provide
flexible an extensible options that embrace open standards.

OpenID aligned perfectly with MySpaceID as an authentication
technology. As a social portal, we already embraced the notion of
representing identity with a URL. An overwhelming number of our users
have setup vanity URL’s (i.e. myspace.com/pixelelated) and so we knew
that OpenID would align well with our users. In addition, we wanted to
make sure that we were working with the flow of the web, and we
strongly believe that collaborating on open standards is critical to
this mission.

As we worked on our OpenID solution for MySpaceID, we knew that we had
to rollout the technology in a way that emphasized a lightweight and
simple interface design and user experience. OpenID has wrongly been
maligned by a stigma that the technology can’t be easy to use. Our aim
was to break that label and demonstrate with our MySpaceID product
that OpenID and usability aren’t conflicting terms. Luckily, there was
a community ready and willing to help. The progress made at two OpenID
Usability Summits helped us refine our implementation and allowed us
to leverage the collective knowledge of other OP’s. This is the
strength of open standards: the ability to work together to forge
ahead and work together to solve a problem.

When working on the MySpaceID design, we embraced a pop-up window for
login to help make the user experience even easier, and to help the
integrating relying party offer a clean hand-off. We support both
directed identity as well as standard URL-based discovery, and
ultimately feel that by offering modular options to developers we are
creating the most value for our users. In addition, by rolling out the
OAuth Hybrid extension with this, we can allow our users to provision
web service access to their MySpace profile, friends, content, and
activities in the same step.

Beyond our new enhancements around single-sign on with OpenID, and the
rollout of the Hybrid protocol, we are supporting the new Activity
Streams specification. A core part of the DNA of MySpaceID is
empowering the user to take their data with them. By offering API’s
for sharing activities, we’re enabling our users to take their own
activities and share them through aggregation and lifestreaming
services. In addition, developers can provide a user with a window
into their life on MySpace by incorporating the API in Dashboard-style
widgets, such as our implementation with the new Yahoo! homepage. With
activity sharing, we wanted to go beyond just offering the
functionality and ensure that we were working with the community to
implement something that could be standardized. We embraced this
philosophy when collaborating on the Portable Contacts spec and worked
to align it with OpenSocial, and so we were quite comfortable with
this model of development.

I hope that we have shown that our choice for the technological piping
which powers MySpaceID (OpenID, OAuth, Portable Contacts, OpenSocial,
and Activity Streams) didn’t negatively impact the experience we could
provide. In fact, it was quite the opposite. Our choice to embrace
these open standards has given us a more powerful and flexible
platform. We’re excited to prove that a MySpace user can visit any
site that has integrated MySpaceID and go from a button click to
bringing their identity with them, all while doing it in a way that
has a clean user experience and puts the user in control of their
privacy, security, and data. As an OpenID community, we’ve all worked
to make tremendous progress over the past year, and I think we’re only
beginning to realize the real potential to empower users through open
standards for the social web.