[OpenID] Need of the hour for OpenID

santrajan santrajan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 16:42:31 UTC 2009

Here is the full text of my blogpost with the same subject.
http://santrajan.blogspot.com/2009/04/need-of-hour-for-openid.html

Its been 2 weeks now that I have been involved with using OpenID. It all
began when I decided to try out OpenID with a small application. Thats when
it hit me, that OpenID is not going to "happen" without a verified email
address. You can read the rest of it in my last 4 posts. I really want this
to happen.

The remarkable thing about OpenID is that it has all the major players
(Google, Yahoo, Facebook etc etc) on their board. I havent seen anything
like this happen to a standards body ever. (Correct me if I am wrong).
Usually what happens to any web standard is that a rival standard will pop
up, splitting the major players more or less equally among them.  This is a
testimony to the great work done by the pioneers of OpenID, though things
have not yet panned out like they would have wished.

It is increasingly clear to me, that the solution involves a centralized
distribution mechanism which I alluded to in my "Suggestions for OpenID
2.1". Something in the lines of "Personal Discovery Service".

This can be possible only if all the major players come to an agreement on
this. OpenID is in a perfect position to make this happen. This is easier
said than done though. All the major players have their own vested
interests.

To begin with, the solution must only consider sharing of basic profile
data. Bringing in other social data will only magnify the disagreements. And
in any case as far as Openid is concerned its interests should only be in
the basic profile.

If the major players cant come together on this, then the only way out will
be to leave out the Openid Providers from the equation and go straight for
the Relying Party's. This is not too difficult a problem to solve.
Definitely some food for thought.