[OpenID] About Facebook, MySpace and OpenID

Breno de Medeiros breno at google.com
Mon Apr 6 17:15:38 UTC 2009

Hi Deron,

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Deron Meranda <deron.meranda at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Breno de Medeiros <breno at google.com>
> wrote:
> > Currently the user cannot deny sending the email attribute independently
> of
> > canceling the request. However, if it were possible, on a subsequent
> request
> > that includes an email attribute the user would be prompted to approve it
> > and it would be sent.  There is no penalty to an RP for not asking for
> > attributes that they do not need in the particular context of a request.
>

> Breno, do you think somebody at Google can perhaps update the
> documentation <http://code.google.com/apis/accounts/docs/OpenID.html>
> to make it more clear to everybody what all of these Google-specific
> behaviors are that we've been discussing in this thread?

We prefer to keep our main documentation pretty simple and post more
detailed guidance in the API forum. However, some of the points made here
deserve placement in the main documentation.

> It mentions the RP must store OAuth values, but says nothing of AX
> attributes.

This should be documented in the main API. Thanks.

> Also it doesn't talk about the specifics, such as attributes you've never
> asked for before (or Google doesn't support) will still be returned when
> you later do ask (or Google starts supporting); or how Google
> interprets the if_available list in terms of the user's choice.

In the description of how to use AX, we have the following entry:

openid.ext1.required   (required) Specifies the attribute being requested.
Currently, the only valid value is "email". This parameter must be set or
Google will ignore the request.

In terms of "attributes you' ve never seen before" I think the better time
to change the documentation is when announcing support for additional
attributes. With a single supported attribute this point is mute.

> Also, do you have any insight if/when Google may support additional
> attributes?  Some of the most universal and immediately useful and
> perhaps the least controversial would be the time zone and language
> attributes:
>   http://axschema.org/pref/timezone/
>   http://axschema.org/pref/language/

Eh. I cannot comment on future plans, but you can see that Plaxo's
experimental UI includes language support and first/last name support, as
well as country.

--
--Breno

+1 (650) 214-1007 desk