[OpenID] The Various Methods For "user at domain.com" Style Identifiers

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 18:10:39 UTC 2009

This is what emailtoid.net is for and why we set it up (we figured running
code was more powerful than just talking about this idea, so we built it).
(Emailtoid is a play on "Email to ID").
The spec for this service is available at eaut.org and is essentially an
implementation of David Fuelling's spec.

Long term this service was meant to fade out if our efforts to popularize
the directed-identity-driven email resolution flow became popularized but
clearly there's room for more discussion.

I should also point out that there's already an FAQ on this topic:

http://wiki.openid.net/Debating-Emails-as-1st-Class-or-2nd-Class-Citizens

Chris

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 6:26 PM, David Nicol <davidnicol at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am for an approach of leaving all systems as they are now and adding
> a convention, provided by some openID identity service, that maps
> e-mail addresses into openID urls, and then trying to popularize that
> service, or the various services conforming to the to-be-proposed
> convention,  so that when someone types joe at example.com into the
> openID slot the identity widget offers joe a choice of
> http://smtp.openid.tipjar.com/example.com/joe and a few other similar
> services suggesting the rewritten versions.

Chris Messina
Citizen-Participant &
 Open Web Advocate

factoryjoe.com // diso-project.org // vidoop.com