[OpenID] About Facebook, MySpace and OpenID

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 04:22:35 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 9:37 PM, Breno de Medeiros <breno at google.com> wrote:
> It is not true that you need to request all your attributes for the Google
> OP or else you will be locked out. If you add a request for a new attribute
> we will prompt the user to authorize and then send it.  That also happens if
> the value of the attribute changed since the user approved (re-prompt and
> send).

Thanks for the clarification Breno.  So the primary burden on the RP is that
it needs to insure it remembers attributes that it has asked for; since it will
only ever get that attribute again if its value ever changes.

This is at least it a lot more reasonable than I thought it might be.

Another question:  since Google essentially doesn't do optional attributes
(in the "optional" sense).  Is it true then that if an RP gets a
successful response
but doesn't get a particular attribute that it asked for; then that means that
Google must not yet support that attribute?

And so say if in the future Google does add support for that attribute, at
some point after that the RP will get it (at least once), right?
--
Deron Meranda