[OpenID] "declining OpenID usage"

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 17:13:45 UTC 2009

It's a little like Wetpaint removing support for OpenID from their site,
when the UI looked like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/factoryjoe/2478951850/

...and was NEVER able to resolve my perfectly valid and otherwise usable
OpenID URL.

That said, I think that adoption of OpenID largely comes down to making a
better user experience and improve how we communicate the value of using
OpenID.

While you make a valid point Johannes, I think that we've largely failed so
far to provide a proper prescription for how to EFFECTIVELY implement
OpenID. Even if you're compliant with the spec, as Crowdvine is, their
implementation leaves much to be desired — the fault of which is not
entirely theirs.

Fortunately, we've recently approved the User Interface WG, the first of its
kind for OpenID, and from this group, we should get a spec that helps
implementors get more out of supporting the protocol.

That said, OpenID doesn't sell itself, and every site that supports OpenID
today — for better or worse — is a sales opportunity that we should be
capitalizing on to tell the story of OpenID.

I have some ideas for how to address this but rather than be reactionary in
this particular case, I think that we should look at the data that Tony has
presented, consider it, think about what percentage of OpenID usage would be
a good target and then find other sources of data that either corroborate or
dispute his numbers. We unfortunately have been unsuccessful at getting data
from the larger OPs (I'm looking squarely at Yahoo, Google, and AOL) on
OpenID adoption or usage; on the flipside, Facebook has a great story for
adoption of its Connect product with data to boot so we're currently at a
data disadvantage to contrast Tony's findings with those from the wider
community.

Chris