[OpenID] OAuth SPs don't have to be your OpenID OP

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 11:34:17 UTC 2009

>From a purely technological perspective, OpenID doesn't work in
desktoclients or for APIs.

This is one of the primary reasons OAuth came about: Magnolia and
Twitter couldn't fully adopt OpenID without something for
non-browser-based environments.

OpenID & OAuth are complements, not competitors. Making them work
together more seamlessly where possible is driven by interface
convenience, not technological superiority.

Chris