[OpenID] About Facebook, MySpace and OpenID

SitG Admin sysadmin at shadowsinthegarden.com
Sat Apr 4 05:41:34 UTC 2009

>'if_available' suggests if the OP happens to know it, then the RP
>wants it.  This isn't a 'if_user_opts_in' parameter.  Which makes it
>basically the same as 'required', except the OP can feel less badly
>about not supplying it.

This may be an attempt at convenience for the user. When the RP
doesn't know how many of its "optional" fields a user may want to
fill out, it can't guess which ones to put as "required" so the OP
will respond - and the RP doesn't want to pose an inconvenience upon
the user to type in fields manually just because the user wasn't
asked for them originally.

That's how I thought AX *worked*, or was supposed to: the user could
click on "fill out this data automatically from my OP", and the RP
would send the user back to their OP just long enough to do so.

-Shade