[OpenID] About Facebook, MySpace and OpenID

John Bradley john.bradley at wingaa.com
Fri Apr 3 23:08:28 UTC 2009

In fairness google is interpreting required as required.

The issue is that they are treating optional as ignored to simplify
the UX.

Any number of OPs allow you to customize persona, for Sreg and AX.

I have no problem with OPs targeting there services to different
audiences.

I suspect that PIP knows that there users are more sophisticated or at-
least wanted an openID or they wouldn't have signed up.

Google on the other hand has to support people who have never been
exposed to openID and just clicked on a button at Plaxo or someplace.

I am not saying that PIP and Google could or should have the same UX.

Only that RP's need a consistent response across all OPs for AX
requests otherwise they have no reason to adopt it.

One of the areas where I don't currently have a AX test is for the
behavior of an OP when it doesn't have a required attribute.

If we look at the spec:
------
openid.ax.required
Value: an attribute alias, or a list of aliases corresponding to the
URIs defined by "openid.ax.type.<alias>" parameters. Multiple
attribute aliases are separated with a comma, ",".

By requesting attributes using this field, a hint is sent to the OP
about the RP's requirements for offering certain functionality and
should be used by the OP to help the user decide what attributes to
release. RP's requirements should not be enforced by the OP.

The RP should offer, out of band of attribute exchange, an alternate
method of collecting the attributes it needs, if they weren't obtained
via attribute exchange.

openid.ax.if_available
Value: an attribute alias, or a list of aliases corresponding to the
URIs defined by "openid.ax.type.<alias>" parameters. Multiple
attribute aliases are separated with a comma, ",".

Attributes requested using this field are deemed optional by the RP;
the RP should be able to complete the interaction with the user even
if values are not provided by the OP for the optional attributes.

---------

It is clear that the RP can expect to get a response back and continue
the transaction if the OP doesn't provide the value.

On the other hand the language for required was written by a
politician.  A hint that the RP may not provide certain functionality
without the value.

Is certain functionality declining the login or making the user
manually input a email to verify?

I can read Googles interpretation  into the above spec however that is
clearly not how others interpret it.

If I were to read the spec on its own as an OP I would probably come
to the conclusion that what I need is an interface that shows the RP
has requested:
1. A set of information that is purely optional and they will provide
service even if the information is not provided.
2. A set of information that the RP may restrict or deny service if I
don't provide.

I let the user select or deselect any of there available attributes
and send back a positive response unless the user decides to cancel
the login.
This includes not sending back required attributes.

The RP is guaranteed to get a response and needs to figure out what to
do with the user as a result of that.

I don't think anyone is exactly following my reading mostly because
they are looking at the name openid.ax.required and not the normative
text.

Until there is a  consensus around the user level flow for AX it is
hard for me to crate more detailed tests or even determine success of
failure of anything above the protocol layer.

Regards
John Bradley