[OpenID] About Facebook, MySpace and OpenID

John Bradley john.bradley at wingaa.com
Fri Apr 3 19:50:14 UTC 2009

Hi Breno,

I will grant you that the choice google has made to deny returning
optional claims to the RP without a user dialog makes the UI simpler.

The problem for RPs is that they may still be willing to accept the
login without the email and collect or verify the email in some other
manner.
As other AX claims start getting used this becomes more of an issue.

 From a RP point of view OP's dealing with AX requests in a consistent
way is a requirement.

They now have no way of asking for optional claims for form filling
during account creation etc if OPs take your approach.

If the issue is a reluctance to give the user fine grained control
over the AX attributes returned, I could live with a compromise.

The "This site is requesting access to additional information listed
below"  is missing some urgency in my opinion.

It needs to be clear that the information will be returned to the RP.

At the moment you have two options "Continue Signin" and "Cancel".

Changing that to "Signin with all requested information" , "Signin
with only required information" , and "Cancel"

The optional and required elements above need to be differentiated in
some way.

This would reduce the number of check boxes and maintain the spirit of
AX optional vs required claims.

The oAuth + openID solution you are working on is good but perhaps
overkill for smaller RPs.

I would like to find a way that AX can work with a consistent claim
set in a predictable way.

By the way we don't have the Google OP listed as a OSIS participant,
we have Blogger but not the new OP.

Let me know if you want to participate in I5 this year.

I am happy to work on AX issues with you, though UX is not my area of
expertise as you know:)

Regards
John Bradley

<Snip>