[OpenID] About Facebook, MySpace and OpenID

Martin Paljak martin at paljak.pri.ee
Fri Apr 3 19:18:54 UTC 2009

On 03.04.2009, at 19:33, Brian Kissel wrote:

> At the Content Provider Advisory Committee we heard from several RPs
> that the most important data they wanted from OPs was email address,
> followed by age or date of birth for any sites that had COPPA
> compliance goals.  Further, if the OP can pass a “verified” email
> address so that RPs don’t have to go through the 2 step registration
> dance of waiting for users to “verify” their email address, that
> improves registration success rate.  There’s a big drop off from
> email registration due to verification emails going to spam folders
> or users just forgetting to go through the last step to verify an
> account.
>
> If all OPs would pass a verified email address (with end user
> consent) I believe all RPs would certainly prefer it.
I don't think it would work in the "open" context of OpenID unless the
e-mail domain shares the domain with the OP.

My theory as a RP goes like this:
  - It is OK for me to accept *your* claim that provider X is good and
knows how to identify and authenticate you. I have nothing to lose
except that if you have chosen a bad provider, you might be vulnerable
to some hacks or so, but it is YOUR (or your RP-s) responsibility, not
mine.
  - It is not OK for me to accept a claim about an e-mail address Y
from provider Z and accept it without any other, out of band
agreements or some CSP-s and validation like CA-s have. My service or
servers will be marked as spam sending servers if I receive garbage.
My service will be blaimed if for some reason you are not able to
receive e-mails from my service (not only does the verification e-mail
end up in spam folder but all real e-mails my service sends to you,
end up in the spam folder as you have not marked the initial
verification e-mail as ham)

As said before by someone else, it comes down to "trust issues" in the
protocol (not possible) vs establishing trust in the ecosystem
(possible, but methods vary).

Of course, for me the current CA business trust model is also broken,
YMMV.