[OpenID] About Facebook, MySpace and OpenID

Brian Kissel bkissel at janrain.com
Fri Apr 3 16:33:39 UTC 2009

At the Content Provider Advisory Committee we heard from several RPs that the most important data they wanted from OPs was email address, followed by age or date of birth for any sites that had COPPA compliance goals.  Further, if the OP can pass a "verified" email address so that RPs don't have to go through the 2 step registration dance of waiting for users to "verify" their email address, that improves registration success rate.  There's a big drop off from email registration due to verification emails going to spam folders or users just forgetting to go through the last step to verify an account.

If all OPs would pass a verified email address (with end user consent) I believe all RPs would certainly prefer it.

Cheers,

Brian
Brian Kissel