[OpenID] About Facebook, MySpace and OpenID

Andrew Arnott andrewarnott at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 15:57:40 UTC 2009

Santrajan,
I really don't understand this obsession you have about how OpenID is a
useless "extra step" without an email address being part of it. Any shopping
mall web site that requires a login will need to take a username+password,
plus email verification, or an OpenID, plus email verification.  There's no
extra step -- it's an exchange of one step for a different step.  And yes,
it absolutely makes sense to do this because customers won't have to create
yet another username and password.

I really don't care too much about jumping to my email client for an email
verification step. I don't mind that.  What I really mind is remembering
another username and password because that lasts a long time.

I'm not disagreeing that skipping email verification would be convenient,
but geez, man, how long can you beat this dead horse?
--
Andrew Arnott
"I [may] not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death