[OpenID] My 2 Cents to the OpenID foundation

John Bradley john.bradley at wingaa.com
Fri Apr 3 06:02:05 UTC 2009

Martin,

A test for properly formatted nonces.
http://osis.idcommons.net/wiki/I5:FeatureTest-Sends_a_properly_formated_response_nonce

I am always open to creating more tests if people can define what they
want tested clearly.

I took a closer look at the myspace provider.  It supports only openID
2 it is not advertising a openID 1.1 endpoint in it's XRDS or vis HTML
tags.

If you have a openID 2.0 RP that doesn't support SHA256 that is a
problem.
https://test-id.org/RP/HMACSHA256.aspx

Yahoo and I have an ongoing disagreement over the requirement for
openID 2.0 OPs to support HMAC-SHA256,  they believe that HMAC-SHA1 is
sufficient. I think that if an RP ask for a SHA256 association they
should support it.  (Allen feel free to defend yourself:)

I think it would be a good idea for myspace to support both but they
are not required to.  They may have a valid security reason not to
allow fallback to HMAC-SHA1.

I could buy that argument more easily than forcing an RP to a smaller
hash.

So my take on it for what it is worth, is that openID 2.0 RPs must
support HMAC-SHA256 and HMAC-SHA1 if they want to interoperate with
all OPs.

Any OP or RP has the right to decline using a part of the spec they
don't feel comfortable with eg discovery of meta-data over http.   The
consequence of that however is lower interoperability.  That is a
business decision.

As far as associations go any RP that falls back to dumb mode can
still perform authentications without an association.

If the Net::OpenID::Consumer for Perl is a openID 2.0 RP then it
should work with myspace.

I don't have any contacts at MySpace so I cant say why they may or may
not accept HMAC-SHA1 associations.  That is there business/security
risk decision.

I think that putting pressure on the RPs to fully support openID 2.0
is the better use of resources.

I am certain that David Recordan will be making certain that
LiveJournal and Typepad successfully complete there OSIS testing.

I have all of the OP tests integrated with the OSIS site but I still
have wiki editing to do to add the new RP tests.  Though the tests
themselves are live at http://test-id.org now.

Regards
John Bradley