[OpenID] Live Icons for visual recognition of IDP logos

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Fri Apr 3 05:00:32 UTC 2009

Peter Williams wrote:

> Obviously to do this I must maintain a mapping of OpenID identities
>
> to local user accounts; and this is a many to one mapping.  This means
>
> that the OpenID identity is NOT my user account identity; but instead that
>
> the OpenID identity REFERENCES my user account identity.  A
>
> subtle but important distinction.

I agree that there is a distinction, but the latter is true on most
systems that support only one identifier too, and is in fact consistent
with how OpenID was originally described: OpenID allows you to prove
that you own a URL. One application of that is to prove that you own a
user account that references that URL, which is a special case of
asserting that you're the same person I saw last time. (for some
wishy-washy definition of "person".)

This is the main reason why I make a point of saying "identifier"
instead of "identity" in this context. My identity is a more abstract
concept that is difficult to define.