[OpenID] "declining OpenID usage"

Johannes Ernst jernst+openid.net at netmesh.us
Fri Apr 3 04:56:19 UTC 2009

See http://blog.crowdvine.com/2009/04/02/declining-openid-usage/

I would like to propose a concerted effort to
1. identify negative OpenID experiences by existing adopters, like
this one
2. "crowd source", to the OpenID community, the analysis why they may
be seeing what they are seeing
3. engage with the site to improve their implementation.

For example, when checking out their site, I noticed that the two
forms for creating an account (username/pass vs. OpenID) look almost
the same. See screenshots below. This does not communicate to the user
at all that there is any advantage, on that site, to use OpenID. It
can clearly be done much better, and most of us know how, but they
apparently didn't... so negative experiences are published, and that
can't be a good thing.

I'm afraid that unless we combat these kinds of things heads-on, a
body of "knowledge" will emerge that OpenID "isn't used".

(It also may well be that the numbers are not good even for good
implementations. In which case we might need to make substantial
improvements to more than just our ability to teach sites how to
implement OpenID well. It would be useful to try to solicit those
numbers, too.)

Anybody agree / disagree?

Johannes Ernst
NetMesh Inc.