[OpenID] Live Icons for visual recognition of IDP logos

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Fri Apr 3 04:47:58 UTC 2009

Obviously to do this I must maintain a mapping of OpenID identities

to local user accounts; and this is a many to one mapping.  This means

that the OpenID identity is NOT my user account identity; but instead that

the OpenID identity REFERENCES my user account identity.  A

subtle but important distinction.

[Peter Williams] Other websso schemes call the latter session translation. Its main and not-particularly subtle benefit is it allows loose coupling of the identity management systems of 2 or more peers: 1 at OP, another at RP#1, another at an affiliate of RP#1. This contrasts with the tightly coupled vision, which I know some folks consider "true" openid. In that view of the world, any RP that retains a local login or an RP-centric affiliate network is not a "true & faithful" openid participant.