[OpenID] My 2 Cents to the OpenID foundation

Peter Watkins peterw at tux.org
Thu Apr 2 18:59:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 10:46:57AM -0700, Martin Atkins wrote:
> Allen Tom wrote:

> > Can you elaborate on this? As far as I can tell, MySpace has implemented
> > OpenID 2.0 along with the OpenID OAuth Extension. The OpenID  OAuth
> > Extension is not finalized yet, but there is a  draft spec available.

> MySpaceID currently requires an application to be pre-registered with
> MySpace, so it doesn't do ad-hoc interop as most OpenID Providers do.

Maybe I'm lazy, but I don't feel like wading through a 4 minute video from
some dude at MySpace who starts out talking about this as "an exciting
new product."

1) Do they act as an OP using directed identity such that I can have a
   simple "Log in with MySpace" button?
2) Martin, are you saying that MySpace's OP will NOT respond to requests from
   RPs that have not been pre-registered?

If the answer to either question is "no", then sorry, News Corp, we won't
be promoting your offering with any language on our site.

BTW, what's with all the "http" URLs in their examples on
http://wiki.developer.myspace.com/index.php?title=What_is_MySpaceID%3F
Isn't this important enough to use https?

-Peter