[OpenID] My 2 Cents to the OpenID foundation

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Thu Apr 2 10:56:55 UTC 2009

Tone!

Openid culture is not yet so staid that it cannot benefit from a newcomers perspective.

I would expect at least a couple more shifts in openid before it makes it on a large scale: UI and trust. Both topics are being worked on, and both will inevitably discard elements of the initial idealism. The requirement to type a URI is already gone, and trust is rapidly becoming a make/break issue.

The trick is not to totally lose the composite of ideals that made the movement attractive: decentralization, UCI, open source, foreground browser protocols, metadata, auto-discovery, provider portability...