[OpenID] My 2 Cents to the OpenID foundation

Eddy Nigg (StartCom Ltd.) eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Thu Apr 2 07:13:01 UTC 2009

  On 04/02/2009 08:22 AM, santrajan:
> After my last two blog posts about OpenID i spent some time on the OpenID
> forums to see what was going on. The impression I gathered was that there
> were some genuine efforts to recognize emails as valid OpenID's in the
> upcoming OpenID 2.1 specifications. Is it a case of too little too late?
> Time will tell.

Nobody guaranties that it will be even approved and adopted.

> The problem is that emails were never recognized as OpenID's right from the
> beginning. And that was the kiss of death for OpenID.

What are you talking about....OpenID has been growing since ever.
Specially since v2.0, PAPE and SREG.

>   It is beyond me,
> living in a world were practically every one uses an email address to log in
> almost anywhere, a group of well meaning intelligent people can completely
> miss its importance. Did they think the concept of a url as an identity
> could be showed down the whole worlds throat?

And you really think nobody has suggested that before you? Oh boy...

> So I rolled up my sleeves and went to work on this one, and I posted my
> solution on the Openid forum.

....apparently you really think so...

> The jist of what I had to say was, "The user
> MUST be able to authenticate himself with OpenID using his email address if
> he so chooses to".

URIs doesn't exclude email addresses. It's not of much interest what the
identifier is, all one needs to know is the OpenID provider domain. The
rest is of no particular interest, neither you.domain.com nor
you at domain.com. Important you know domain.com.

> As a side note myspace has come out with there own version of OpenID
> support, which is not compatible with the OpenID specification. Another
> example of vested interests tearing apart the concept of OpenID. I think
> myspace has really shot itself in its foot this time. They really should
> have supported directed identity in conformance to OpenID 2.0 and SREG 1.0.
> They are really on there way to "nospace".

That might be correct.

Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, StartCom Ltd. <http://www.startcom.org>
Jabber: 	startcom at startcom.org <xmpp:startcom at startcom.org>