[OpenID] My 2 Cents to the OpenID foundation

SitG Admin sysadmin at shadowsinthegarden.com
Thu Apr 2 05:59:01 UTC 2009

>After my last two blog posts about OpenID i spent some time on the OpenID
>forums to see what was going on. The impression I gathered was that there
>were some genuine efforts to recognize emails as valid OpenID's in the

There are?

I knew there were efforts to gently guide the user through the
learning process by Discovering and displaying the corresponding URI
instead of outright rejecting E-mail addresses, but I never saw
anything about treating an E-mail address as an OpenID *itself*.

I think this is another sign that you have been looking for a very
specific idea you have in mind, and mistaking anything similar you
find for a failure to achieve *your* goal. (Our lack of gratitude to
you for coming in and explaining to us what we really want and how we
can correct what we're doing to be more in line with what "we" want,
isn't helping.)

>The problem is that emails were never recognized as OpenID's right from the
>beginning. And that was the kiss of death for OpenID.

The problem, to return to an earlier analogy, is that camels did not
begin their evolution as horses. This is why camels are extinct now -
because they couldn't mutate into horses fast enough to preserve
their usefulness to the human species.

>It is beyond me,
>living in a world were practically every one uses an email address to log in
>almost anywhere,

Well, *practically* every one of us, anyway. Those like me don't matter ;)

It's a good thing you don't live in a world where people like me exist ;)

>a group of well meaning intelligent people can completely
>miss its importance. Did they think the concept of a url as an identity
>could be showed down the whole worlds throat?

It's particularly ironic you should put it like that, considering:

>So I rolled up my sleeves and went to work on this one, and I posted my
>solution on the Openid forum. The jist of what I had to say was, "The user
>MUST be able to authenticate himself with OpenID using his email address if
>he so chooses to".

Did you really think you could just shove E-mail down OpenID's throat?

-Shade