[OpenID] My 2 Cents to the OpenID foundation

santrajan santrajan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 05:22:53 UTC 2009

Here is the full text of my blog post with the same subject line.
http://santrajan.blogspot.com/2009/04/my-2-cents-to-openid-foundation.html

After my last two blog posts about OpenID i spent some time on the OpenID
forums to see what was going on. The impression I gathered was that there
were some genuine efforts to recognize emails as valid OpenID's in the
upcoming OpenID 2.1 specifications. Is it a case of too little too late?
Time will tell.

The problem is that emails were never recognized as OpenID's right from the
beginning. And that was the kiss of death for OpenID. It is beyond me,
living in a world were practically every one uses an email address to log in
almost anywhere, a group of well meaning intelligent people can completely
miss its importance. Did they think the concept of a url as an identity
could be showed down the whole worlds throat?

So I rolled up my sleeves and went to work on this one, and I posted my
solution on the Openid forum. The jist of what I had to say was, "The user
MUST be able to authenticate himself with OpenID using his email address if
he so chooses to".

For those of you who are technically oriented you can
http://www.nabble.com/My-Suggestion-for-OpenID-2.1-td22822935.html see my
solution suggested to OpenID foundation here.

As a side note myspace has come out with there own version of OpenID
support, which is not compatible with the OpenID specification. Another
example of vested interests tearing apart the concept of OpenID. I think
myspace has really shot itself in its foot this time. They really should
have supported directed identity in conformance to OpenID 2.0 and SREG 1.0.
They are really on there way to "nospace".