[OpenID] Live Icons for visual recognition of IDP logos

Andrew Arnott andrewarnott at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 01:15:41 UTC 2009

Honestly, Peter, the belly-up OP is what scares me the most about OpenID.
 And I really like OpenID.  As large and well-written as myopenid.com seems
to be, I'd never recommend my less-tech-savvy family use it over yahoo.comor
google.com as an OP because I'm not convinced myopenid.com will be around
for 25 years.  That's why I use my "vanity" url.  It's not for vanity at
all... it's for my own identity protection.  But the vanity url has to be at
my own domain name so that no belly-up company can take down my identity.
That obviously isn't a solution that will work for my friends and family.
One other problem with listing lots of popular OPs at an RP, and that is
that a user will learn to rely on his OP being shown, and even if the OP
doesn't go belly-up, if it disappears from an RP's list of logos, many users
will not know how to login any more and assume they're locked out.  Bad
scenario.

Personally, I'm uncomfortable with the idea that I'm logging in with OpenID
in order to *avoid* a username/password and account recovery process at an
RP, and yet that RP offers an email recovery for that account.  That feels
insecure to me.  I want to separate my all-unlocking email address from all
my other web accounts. If someone compromises my email address, I'd really
rather they not gain access to all my web accounts at the same time.  So I
don't want RPs to offer an account recovery option if I use OpenID to log
in.  Let account recovery be an OP issue.

Now if the OP goes belly-up, or locks the user out of their account for any
random reason, what recourse does the user have?  Well, in the real world we
have government that can help us prove our identity to various parties if we
lose our driver's license or something.  Perhaps we need a trusted entity
like that for the Internet. (I can already hear many of you screaming).

An alternative to relying on an OP or running your own vanity URL is hosting
your own identity on your own box.  Too complicated for the average joe?
 Not so much if you use InfoCard.  InfoCard elegantly puts complete identity
control in the user's hands, and without any risk of ever having it revoked
by someone else.  There are a couple of problems with InfoCard as it stands
today though that I see: infocards are not *easily *transportable to other
computers (yet), and if they are lost without a backup, they're gone forever
and so is your access to Internet sites.

Since I don't have the perfect solution for either side, DotNetOpenAuth's
openid login popup will probably feature a couple of major OPs, an OpenID
logo, and an InfoCard logo, allowing the user to pick what they're most
comfortable with.

--
Andrew Arnott
"I [may] not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death