[OpenID] OpenID Biz Case, etc

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Wed Apr 1 15:18:52 UTC 2009

OpenID (a websso service for UCI "consumer"  environments) "supports" multiple authentication schemes, including Sign-in via client side SSL Certificates, Image based passwords and recovery,2-factor authentication such as password+text. Go to myopenid.com and see much of that in practice.

OpenId Auth v2 (a particular communications protocol and its extensions, not the service) enables an RP to signal the requirements of an authentication scheme, which may even these days be expressed as specifically as Sign-in via client side SSL Certificates using CA C using TLS ciphersuite EC+AES (by agreement of the parties).

Distinguishing the service from the protocol is important if you are a security architect. OpenID - the service - is analogous to how the internet backbone ISPs use ISO's "CLNS" service to power the routing "supporting" routed protocols (analogous to OpenID Auth protocol) - of which by far the commonest is DARPA's IPv4 - the thing we all know and love for its highly optimal design. In OpenID, the service player known as an OP MAY present consent screens to users - not that that said behavior is in any way part of the "protocol", or even part of a conformance test for a _protocol_.  Is "user consent" to release names and attributes to a given RP "supported by" OpenID? Yes! (It's a fundamental part of the UCI mission). Is it _supported_ by the OpenID auth protocol? No. Is a vendor's storage of "personality"-based lists of attribute to thereafter  be automatically released to a given RP "supported by" the protocol (e.g. myopenid.com's practice  of persisting attribute release authority, by RP)? No.

This "support" distinction between service and protocol is mostly semantics -to be distinguish valuably only if you are a security architect doing design or analysis - e.g. this list. If you are doing system integration analysis for a business problem (e.g. draw folks to your web2.0 site), its rather a distraction. Just focus on a complying vendors pitch (how many schemes does it support?) -  and then find the one that suits your system integration culture the  best. If a solution vendor talks in a business pitch about architecture of secure telematic protocols or how the underlying library is programmed, pick another vendor (my advice).

Measure the vendor's support for OpenID by adherence to the general mission, determine which parts of the mission they specialize in, and then measure then the amount of demonstrated interworking according to open standards principles. As the community matures, also then measure the conformance -as tested by third parties.

AS you can see, the openid vendor community _is_ maturing nicely. Only 12 months ago, "vendors" making money were not discouraged from disclosing that intent, and conformance was a dirty word.