[OpenID] [oauth] Re: Replacing email verification with RSS 'push' feeds and OAuth

Allen Tom atom at yahoo-inc.com
Tue Apr 7 03:42:22 UTC 2009

Andrew Arnott wrote:

> Thanks.  Incidentally, the grief I have with Facebook is that I have
> to visit Facebook in order to pick up my "mail" which may just be a
> poke or prod.  *grumble*  But yes, I'd like to see us provide a
> general solution.  And my personal queuing SP of choice would likely
> be one that sends copies of my messages in the email it sends me, as
> well as organizes them within its own web site for my review later.

What if the OP generated a unique disposable email address for each RP
that the user wants to allow email, and the OP just forwards it on to
the user's real mailbox (or cell phone or IM, depending on the user's
preference). If and when the user no longer wants to receive messages
from the RP, the user can just deactivate the disposable email address.

This might be easier to deploy than defining a standard messaging API
and putting OAuth in front of it.

Allen