[OpenID] [oauth] Re: Replacing email verification with RSS 'push' feeds and OAuth

Andrew Arnott andrewarnott at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 04:25:46 UTC 2009

--000e0cd403f6928ff00466ef69cc

True. This is a model I thought of a while back, when some credit cards
started generating one-time-use credit card numbers for use when shopping
online.  I think this has a much higher chance of working for people,
although it doesn't at all solve the problem of RP's needing to send the
user through email verification.
--
Andrew Arnott
"I [may] not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 8:42 PM, Allen Tom <atom at yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> Andrew Arnott wrote:
> >
> > Thanks.  Incidentally, the grief I have with Facebook is that I have
> > to visit Facebook in order to pick up my "mail" which may just be a
> > poke or prod.  *grumble*  But yes, I'd like to see us provide a
> > general solution.  And my personal queuing SP of choice would likely
> > be one that sends copies of my messages in the email it sends me, as
> > well as organizes them within its own web site for my review later.
> >

> What if the OP generated a unique disposable email address for each RP
> that the user wants to allow email, and the OP just forwards it on to
> the user's real mailbox (or cell phone or IM, depending on the user's
> preference). If and when the user no longer wants to receive messages
> from the RP, the user can just deactivate the disposable email address.
>
> This might be easier to deploy than defining a standard messaging API
> and putting OAuth in front of it.
>
> Allen

--000e0cd403f6928ff00466ef69cc

True. This is a model I thought of a while back, when some credit cards sta=
rted generating one-time-use credit card numbers for use when shopping onli=
ne. =A0I think this has a much higher chance of working for people, althoug=
h it doesn&#39;t at all solve the problem of RP&#39;s needing to send the u=
ser through email verification.<br clear=3D"all">

--<br>Andrew Arnott<br>&quot;I [may] not agree with what you have to say, b=
ut I&#39;ll defend to the death your right to say it.&quot; - Voltaire<br>
m <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:atom at yahoo-inc.com">atom at yahoo-in=
argin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

Andrew Arnott wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Thanks. =A0Incidentally, the grief I have with Facebook is that I have=
&gt; to visit Facebook in order to pick up my &quot;mail&quot; which may ju=
st be a<br>
&gt; poke or prod. =A0*grumble* =A0But yes, I&#39;d like to see us provide =
a<br>
&gt; general solution. =A0And my personal queuing SP of choice would likely=
&gt; be one that sends copies of my messages in the email it sends me, as<b=
r>
&gt; well as organizes them within its own web site for my review later.<br=

&gt;<br>
P<br>
that the user wants to allow email, and the OP just forwards it on to<br>
the user&#39;s real mailbox (or cell phone or IM, depending on the user&#39=
;s<br>
preference). If and when the user no longer wants to receive messages<br>
from the RP, the user can just deactivate the disposable email address.<br>
This might be easier to deploy than defining a standard messaging API<br>
and putting OAuth in front of it.<br>
Allen<br>
hl=3Den</a><br>