[OpenID] Google OpenID IDP is now live

Dick Hardt dick.hardt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 14:18:49 PDT 2008

On 29-Oct-08, at 11:36 AM, Eric Sachs wrote:

> >> I'd be interested in how Google thinks users will login with
> their OpenID if they can't type in gmail.com or google.com -- these
> should work. Will they?
>
> Since this is the first phase of our launch, we need to make sure it
> works stability (and with good usability feedback, including on
> validating the translation of our UI into 40+ languages) before we
> can claim that lots of RPs should use it.  Therefore there is
> currently a whitelist of supported RPs.
>
> If we published an XRDS file for gmail.com that worked automatically
> with existing RPs doing directed identity, then it would break for
> users because their RPs would not be on the whitelist.
>
> Once we are able to remove the whitelist, then we can post the XRDS
> file for gmail.com without breaking existing RPs who allow users to
> type domain names for directed identity.

Ok. Now I understand why the XRDS is not there at this point.

I don't understand why the RPs need to be whitelisted. Do you think
there is going to be a rush of un-sophisticated Google OpenID users at
this point in time?  I might be mistaken, but Yahoo!, AOL, myopenid
are not whitelisting. What am I missing?

-- Dick