[OpenID] Yahoo and localhost

Danny Burkes dburkes at infoteria.com
Wed Jan 30 20:21:37 UTC 2008

Hi everyone-

I'm in the process of developing a new product that will be an RP.  We
have RP functionality already working using ruby-openid 2.03, and we
can successfully authenticate against both OpenID 1.0 and 2.0 providers.

Today Yahoo turned on their IdP functionality, so I thought I'd try
it, and it wouldn't authenticate me when I run our app on my local
development machine- I just get redirected to a page at Yahoo that
says "Sorry! Something is not quite right with the request we received
from the website you are trying to use".

However, if I try to authenticate running our app on a publicly-
available server (our staging server), it authenticates fine against
the Yahoo IdP.

The only difference I can see in the two authentication transactions
is that, when running on my local development machine,
openid.return_to is like "http://localhost:3000/...", whereas when
running from the staging machine, it's like "http://
our.staging.server/...".

Does the Yahoo IdP refuse authentication requests that specify
localhost in the return_to?  If so, it seems like a big flub, as it
locks out developers.

Thanks for any enlightenment you can provide.

Best Regards,

Danny Burkes
http://www.lingr.com/help/about#danny