[OpenID] Laws of id, openid with ssl

Josh Hoyt josh at janrain.com
Sat Jan 26 22:16:55 UTC 2008

On Jan 26, 2008 4:15 AM, Martin Atkins <mart at degeneration.co.uk> wrote:
> A subtle difference, but one I think might end up being a point of
> confusion for other people too. "Ofuscated" is, in retrospect, probably
> too "geeky" a word to use in public for this, but perhaps "anonymous"
> would work? The goal is to avoid people knowing who you are, so
> anonymous seems like a reasonable term for it.

I think that anonymous has different problems. Each time you visit a
site, you're sending the same identifier as last time (otherwise,
there's no point in having an identifier at all), so you're not really
getting anonymity, you're really getting pseudonymity [1]. I think
that people are comfortable enough with the concept of a pseudonym,
and it's not a technical term.

Josh

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudonymity