[OpenID] FW: Technical Comparison: OpenID and SAML - Draft 06

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Thu Jan 24 19:12:54 UTC 2008

2 questions:

Q1. how does XRI/XRD conflict with ENUM/NAPTR and IETF-style provisioning of name and service records in DNS

A1: You have not read IETF stuff, and I have not read XRI stuff (because it costs money to read even a draft OASIS standard). We are kind of stuck in a deadlock. Thus, I go with the IETF stuff, expressed particular in ENUM.

- The basic YADIS approach (read an XRS stream from an http endpoint) seems like a temporary hack, in the big scheme of things. Going XRI native or XRI proxies is a blind alley for me, personally, right now (as im ignorant of what it all means, ultimately)

- walled garden ENUM (where the walled-garden variant was a hard won battle in IETF, note) shows how reliance in openid could be walled off, without forcing the walling procedures to use protocol level security controls (encryption etc) or qualified namespaces.

Q2. how can openid2 and SAML2 cooperate (within the SAML2 proxying model and nameid-qualification/autocreate model)

A2: OpenID2 (likes SAML2) assumes matters of qualified naming and account subscription/provisioning are handled as local matters - using some or other backend (probably legacy) system. We happen to have fronted our proprietary stuff (that covers about 85% of realty's 2.5 million current or recently expired accounts) with SAML endpoint - saying to the world: ok! stop whining about relaty proprietary legacy systems: here is an open interface. Get on with it. You have naming protocols, encryption protocols, assertion protocols, now even attribute query protocols. When I finally get my head around SAML+XACML, we will add authorization protocols via PEPs/PDPs/PAPs.

We are perfectly happy for openid2 protocol engine to be either a downstream or upstream SAML/legacy proxy (in the formal SAML IDP proxying model). You want to talk to realty via openid protocols..? Wonderful. Here is how (not that you really need to know) it maps onto realty's open SAML interfaces so we can realize your desire. In certain advanced cases, the openid relying party will have business rules that DEMAND that it knows about what proxying went on, and with whom. So, we will have to "emulate" certain SAML signals as AX attributes, probably. Or, openid3 will do it properly.

Peter (speaking for Rapattoni, not various other realty systems vendors or NAR).